Real Old Florida
Next Tree Committee Meeting
March 27 at 9 am in the Museum
Heritage Days 2020
Friday, December 4, 2020
5:30 - 9 pm
Saturday, December 5, 2020
10 am - 4 pm
New Exhibit Grand Opening February 27, 2020
Leadership Citrus 1:30 pm February 20 at the Museum
It will be a beautiful day, so dress for the weather! Bring gloves and wear comfortable shoes. Because it's Florida, wear sunscreen!
Museum Project Day every Thursday - This week we are builind the new exhibit!
Also, we are continuing with organizing the kitchen area, the office file cabinets, and the storage room.
Museum Projects 2020:
- Jan-March New Exhibit on Duval House completed.
- Develop new exhibits - Suggested Topics include The Floral City Firehouse, Black History in Floral City, Avenue of Oaks, Local Schools, E-Nini-Hassee
- Organize and Inventory our exhibits, maps, photos, and files
- Clean and maintain Museum, kitchen, and storage areas
Times to Remember
Summer at the Museum
In June, the Director and Museum volunteers had a great time with approximately 20 students in cooperation with the Floral City Branch of the Citrus County Library System daytime summer program. The hands-on experiential activities in which the children engaged were specifically designed to build background knowledge with first through fifth grade students.
Items of Note (2019)
- April 2019, Floral City Heritage Council Museum Projects Team is led by new Museum Director, Bill Metcalfe.
- The first Museum Project was to build a new display case for the canoe recovered in Floral City area waters.
- The rooms behind the Museum exhibits were cleaned and organized, and some cleared storage areas have been designated as office space.
- Thanks to the assistance of Brent Zaniewski, the Museum now has a phone and WiFi for guests and museum volunteers to stay connected.
- A team is currently working on a next exhibit on the Duval-Metz house.
- The team is also reviewing all the items kindly loaned to the Heritage Museum for more exhibits and organizing historical documents related to council activities.
- The Museum has a new television in the media/meeting room to show the videos.
- The museum updated the climate control systems.
Reviews of Our Current Exhibit
Cycle Scene in Floral City – (https://www.yoursun.com/arcadia/news/cycle-scene-floral-city-citrus-county-s-quaint-visit-avenue/article_2ddd1a72-8ead-11e9-abb8-e79a1eb53f4f.html) (Arcadian Article)
MUSEUM STORE PAGE / SHOPPING CART
Serving a special niche in the county, the Museum's “Country Store” offers items relating directly to Floral City, Citrus County and other items seldom found at the modern chain stores. We have feather dusters, wooden-handled corn brooms, glass wasp catchers, antique tin signs, wooden toys and hand fans.